Special Assistant to the Executive Office
Special Assistant to the Executive Office
As the Special Assistant to the Executive Office, this position will provide project management and administrative support to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chief of Staff (COS) as it relates to the CEO?s agenda, board work, the strategic plan and the organizational work plan. This position will take work direction from the CEO and COS, performing confidential and time-sensitive tasks, working independently on projects from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities with discretion. This role works closely with the CEO in supporting the coordination of Safe Horizon Board of Director meetings, board committee meetings, the strategic planning process, the organizational work plan and other activities as needed.
Manage aspects of CEO work with board of directors
- Work closely and effectively with the CEO, COS and Chief Development Officer to keep them well informed of upcoming board commitments and responsibilities
- Manage board materials including board performance and board development lists, among others
- Work with CEO to maintain board development plan including supporting the onboarding process for new board members and managing the board orientation process and board buddy system
- Communicate with board members as needed to develop board agendas and assist (when necessary) in coordinating board committee meetings
- Supports coordination of Board of Directors? communications including meeting agendas, reports and other meeting preparation.
- Help plan agenda for upcoming board retreat and secure potential consultants for retreat
Coordinate the development of the upcoming strategic plan
- Create and manage overall strategic plan timeline and communication with stakeholders
- Assist in identifying and convening strategic plan stakeholders, potential consultants and strategic plan board and staff committee members
- Support follow through of strategic plan, by measuring progress and sharing plan results with staff and board
- Serves as a liaison between CEO/COS, strategic plan consultant and key stakeholders including Safe Horizon?s board of directors and staff throughout strategic planning process
Support the development of the organizational work plan
- Work with COS to create template and timeline for annual organizational work plan
- Gather and synthesize information received from multiple sources to develop work plan
- Monitor the follow through on work plan items and coordinate periodic Senior Team reports
- Follow up with all parties and assist in presentation of plan to Senior Team members
Serve as a contributing member of Executive Office Team:
- Provide back-up administrative support for other executives or leaders as needed
- Help set a welcoming and professional tone for staff and visitors
- Handle confidential matters including organizational updates and strategic initiatives
Additional duties include:
- Hybrid work possible
- Other duties/projects as assigned
No direct supervisees at this moment . Total staff: 0
May also supervises one or more volunteers and interns.
Safe Horizon?s Board Members (27)
Senior Management Team (20)
Clients and Staff who are attempting to raise their issues to the CEO level
Outstanding analytical, organizational and communications skills, both oral and written, are essential. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously is required. Must possess critical thinking skills, using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses and have the ability to seek alternative solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems. Must exercise sound judgment and professional ethics. Must be detail oriented, flexible and highly organized.
A successful track record of increased responsibility and complex positions is preferred. A professional background including experience managing strategic operations and planning projects is also desired. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite programs is required.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom and Adobe Acrobat)
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment while managing various competing priorities
- Excellent customer service and must display tact and diplomacy in difficult or sensitive situations
- Ability to work in a discreet manner while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff including internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated strong project management skills
- Excellent service-orientation, an eye for detail, fresh ideas, notable work ethic and results-focused
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Operational flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable business needs; willingness to work outside standard established business hours on occasion
- Bachelor?s degree or relevant equivalent experience and minimum of two years project management experience with at least two years of management experience preferred; related experience in a not-for-profit or government environment is desirable.
Safe Horizon is committed to providing a reasonable accommodation to ensure individuals with disabilities can meet any physical demand requirement(s) of the position, or otherwise perform the corresponding task(s), where possible. If you require a reasonable accommodation, including to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact your Human Resources Recruiter.
Safe Horizon is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws concerning employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation including the Americans with Disabilities Act. Safe Horizon ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful immigrant status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff and clients.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon?s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Effective October 29, 2021, as a private contractor of The City of New York all Safe Horizon employees, interns and volunteers must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons.
Applicants may be responsible for providing the equipment and tools they need to work remotely as required, such as access to a computer, internet service, and phone service. Safe Horizon will discuss potential solutions with candidates and may assist where needed and agreed to in advance.
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Hiring Range: 60,000.00 - 80,000.00 Annual
Full-time Hours: 35 Hours per week
Full-time Benefits: Vacation Time, Paid Sick Time, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Company Life Insurance, Medical/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts, Tuition Assistance Program, Commuter Benefits Program, Gym Reimbursement, Parental Leave, Employee Learning Center