Research and Development Intern
Description28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary Of This Position
The Research & Development Technician Intern has exposure to the day-to-day workings of irrigation technologies and crop production techniques seen in a variety of small and large scale field trials. The intern is part of the Research & Development team working on the setup, installation, startup, operation and data collection for projects focused on the testing of new irrigation technologies and crop production techniques. Data collection and reporting are critical parts of the position and the Research & Development Technician Intern provides data management and information on an array of different projects. The data collected and recorded is both visual observation and data from infield tools including, but not limited to, soil moisture sensors, IR thermometers, flow meters, pressure sensors and aerial image files. The intern works with different people on the team, getting exposure to different angles of team development. Responsibilities include choosing one of the available Research & Development intern projects to develop and complete during the months of the internship. During the summer internship the incumbent acquires an increased knowledge of existing assemblies while learning more regarding Valmontâs manufacturing capabilities and the field usage of Valmont products.
Valmontâs internship program mission is to provide a hands-on learning experience through project work, leadership development, job shadowing and interaction with senior leadership.
- Operate a personal computer, printer, and digital camera in order to collect, document and analyze field data
- Reviewing and analyzing data from a wide range of gauges and sensors from both small and large scale field trials to help enhance Valmontâs product line
- Support the evaluation of irrigated crop technologies and crop production technologies
- Accurately record and communicate the data found to the rest of the department
- Responsible for completing and presenting a selected internship project from those available within the Research & Development Department. Presentation will include:
- Responsible for outlining measurable performance objectives that will contribute toward the studentâs career goals (training plan)
- Participate in internship activities scheduled throughout the summer (work, internship kick-off event, planned trips, recognition event, Senior Leadership interviews, Lessons Learned event, meetings, luncheons, meet & greets, etc.)
- Explore ideas outside the current framework to improve processes. The intern should be continually searching for better ways to improve the quality of the work produced
- Research new tools for management and analysis of geo-spatial files
- Junior or Senior standing within an Agricultural Engineering, Agronomy, Soil Science, Mechanized Systems, Soil Mechanics, Soil Conservation or related agriculture field degree with two years of course work completed
- The ability to travel domestically up to 50% of the time
- The ability to work outdoors for extended periods in a variety of environmental conditions
- A valid US driverâs license
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Work full time during the summer of 2021
- An understanding of irrigation practices
- Familiarity with of GIS, geo-spatial files and precision agriculture
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- The ability to work well in a team environment
- Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
- Great opportunity to gain career related course work experience from an industry leader
- Paid Internship â Valmont values you
- Potential development into a regular full-time position
- Flexible full-time day shift hours during the summer
- A thriving culture in a growing business
- Interactive group activities with intern peers
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. No travel requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email [email protected]