DescriptionAbbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
About Abbott Diagnostics
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbottâs life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations â with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer.
What Youâll Do
The Mechanical Engineer within Abbott Hematology is a critical member of the new product development organization and contributes to new feature development, system reliability and performance improvement project. The mechanical engineer completes professional level engineering assignments related to a specific field or discipline. Participates in projects involving the Design, development, validation, and manufacture of complex instrument subassemblies, systems or processes. Responsibilities also include implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Develops models of mechanical systems and engineering drawings within SolidWorks.
- Plans and performs assignments of a wide degree of difficulty.
- Performs developmental and/or test work that relies heavily on a comprehensive knowledge of theory and design.
- Analyzes, develops, and recommends design approaches required to meet design and production requirements for new or enhanced instruments.
- Compiles and evaluates design and test data, prepares technical specifications, and determines appropriate limits and variables for product, process, or materials specifications.
- Coordinates with technical support personnel to conduct prototype or experimental runs of products or processes.
- Applies the results of reviews of literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of current problems.
- Coordinate activities with other functional areas including program management, electrical engineering, software engineering and systems engineering.
- May provide input on potential candidates to be hired into the team, Interfaces with product team members, PCB designers, manufacturing or design engineer, R&D, marketing, regulatory (internal) and site engineering.
- Analyzes Data and Procedures /Recommends Solutions: Analyzes data, procedures, or design requirements taking into account financial and business considerations, draws conclusions and recommends options for complex or multiple process and product problems., Creates/ Modifies Designs for Intermediate Problems: Designs or modifies and specifies more complex components, subsystems, or software programs, writes detailed design specifications.
- Integrates Project Activities: Estimates and coordinates resources needed (material, time, budget, and people) to accomplish a task: makes estimates based on program schedule and requirements., Translates Regulatory Requirements into Validation Process: Creates efficient protocols for validation of complex system functions and defines validation process.
- Exchanges Information: Exchanges information with appropriate frequency and within a time frame to maximize its utility and promote cross functional collaboration, verifies that information is understood by the recipient.
- Receives general direction and exercises considerable discretion as to personal work details.
- Reviews, generates, and approves related inputs such as drawings and specifications.
- May evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Adapts Information to Customer Needs: Delivers communications tailored to the needs of the receiver (Managers, peers, customer) Makes Presentations: Defines purpose and objectives, organizes ideas, prepares A-V aids, keeps to time frame and presents intelligibly.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOUâLL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering or closely related discipline with two to four years of related work experience or sufficient transferable experience to demonstrate functional equivalence to a degree.
- Minimum 2 years experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in SolidWorks modeling
- Strong problem solving skills for the purpose of product development
- Experience and understand of reliability of complex systems
- Knowledge of biomedical devices / technologies
- A passion for learning an drive to master new technologies
- A degree in engineering
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.