Director of Operations
DescriptionBe part of a fast growing, innovative company with a long standing historical legacy in Michigan transporting people, horses and freight to Mackinac Island. Star Line Mackinac Island Ferry Company is looking for an experienced, highly motivated and detailed orientated individual to join our team as the Director of Operations Manager.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for the overall daily operations of the company including docks, vessels, vehicles, properties, managers and customers. While communicating with the CEO regarding all subjects affecting the companyâs operations.
- Proven experience as Director of Operations or equivalent position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Outstanding communication and people, both written and oral
- Problem solving, team player attitude
- Analytical skills and comfortable with business analysis
- Results and detailed-oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and various business software
- Valid State Driverâs License - Required
- Health, dental, and optical insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Star Line is the largest Ferry Line to Mackinac Island and in Michigan. In the past 4 yours we have experienced significant growth and expansion.
Star Line Ferry was started by Tom Pfeiffelmann, Sam McIntire, and others in the late 1970s. They purchased Argosy Boat Line. The company was then renamed Star Line after the 5 original stockholders making up a 5 pointed star. At that time they operated slower ferries including the Nicolet, Treasure Islander and Flamingo.
In 1979 Star Line bought their first fast ferry, Marquette. Over the next few years the old LaSalle and Nicolet were replaced with sisters to the Marquette. In 1987 Star Line decided to take it up a notch with Radisson, an 85-foot fast ferry which was modeled after a luxury yacht.
In time the LaSalle, Nicolet, and Marquette also added hydro-jets with their trade mark rooster tails. In 1990 Star Line added Cadillac and in 1993 added Joliet. These boats were built in the style of the Radisson. In 2005, Marquette was sold to Davis Park Marine of Patchogue, NY. She was replaced by the larger Marquette II. And in 2006, Nicolet was also sold to Davis Park Marine.