Legal Counsel - Privacy
DescriptionWho We Are
lululemon is a yoga-inspired technical apparel company up to big things. The practice and philosophy of yoga informs our overall purpose to elevate the world through the power of practice. We are proud to be a growing global company with locations all around the world, from Vancouver to Shanghai, and places in between. We owe our success to our innovative product, our emphasis on our stores, our commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we get to make in every community we are in.
About This Team
We are self-described âlegal outliers.â Our vision is to inspire and educate, provide value from beginning to end and create an environment where work enriches life, and life enriches work. We believe in âthe sweat lifeâ â sweat, relationships and personal development â and we live it every day.
A Day In The Life
This role as Legal Counsel will support the Global Privacy Program. With oversight from the Director of Privacy and Technology Counsel, Legal Counsel will research regulatory matters and concerns, update senior leadership on privacy compliance, and assist with training for the enterprise. This is a roll-up-your-sleeves type of role in a growing and fast-paced environment. Responsibilities and essential job functions include:
- Manage and support guest and employee data privacy review process.
- Work cross-functionally with business partners, IT, and Information Security, vendors and other teams to ensure successful execution of the privacy program, including requests for data or deletion of data under GDPR and CCPA.
- Ensure that processes within the program comply with established company standards.â¯
- Support the preparation, communication and education of teams on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
- Create and maintain detailed project tasks and communicate across multiple functional teams.
- Research business questions regarding data privacy, direct marketing and other legal concerns, providing summary and suggestions for resolution or mitigation.
- Review and amend data processing agreements.
- Coordinate and lead various privacy risk assessments and DPIAâs, alongside external data protection officers.
- Support and maintain a âprivacy championâ global network across the business.
- Conduct data protection and data privacy research and draft policies and/or awareness materials.
- Develop processes to report on the operational effectiveness of the privacy review process.â¯
- Propose suggestions and solutions for improvement and/or develop new approaches and/or policies/guidance by leveraging knowledge of existing risk management processes and business experience.
- 2-4 years of experience in global customer (guest) and employee data privacy in US and/or international markets or in a project or program management role
- Experience with deploying privacy programs
- Certifications such as CIPP, CIPM preferred
- J.D. from an accredited institution; licensed to practice in Washington State or ability to practice in-house
- Experience drafting and negotiating data processing agreements
- Knowledge and ability to apply process improvement principles
- Experience with internal controls, IT governance and audit frameworks
- Understanding of key global privacy and marketing compliance laws including CCPA, GDPR, EU-US Privacy Shield, data breach regulations, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, CASL and other applicable FTC rulesâ¯
- Knowledge of common privacy laws, practices and regulatory frameworks (PCI, GDPR, SOX, etc.), as well as a general understanding of various retail related technologies, information security and risk management.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, and the ability to communicate privacy and legal concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, sometimes ambiguous environment
- Possess sound legal and business judgement and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change
- Excellent problem identification, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to establish cross-functional, collaborative relationships with business and technology partners
- Ability to negotiate and influence
- Strong knowledge in digital technologies (i.e., social media, digital advertising, mobile apps, mobile payments), with particular focus on how these technologies are used to collect, use and/or share informationâ¯
- Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life
- Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results
- Communicates with honesty and kindness, and creates the space for others to do the same
- Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure
- Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships â a team player
- Integrates fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesnât take themselves too seriously
Store Support Center